Thursday, June 28, 2007

Oh Canada

We're still recovering here in Dublin from Gay Pride last weekend and have reluctantly taken down my homemade decorations (made during a quiet late shift with coloured post it notes, I had no green though, as pointed out by a observant hosteller, but hey it was a spur of the moment thing and I'm sure the green people of the world will understand!).

Anyway the good thing about working in an international environment is that there is no end of holidays. This week its Canada's turn. We get loads of Canadians staying in the hostel, especially lots from Quebec, who I always find very glamourous with their Canadian passports and their Quebecois! Anyway to celebrate Canada Day, here are five fun facts about Canada gleamed from our canadian hostellers:

  1. Canadians are not americans (nothing annoys them more allegedly!!)
  2. Its the second largest country in the world.
  3. The official winter sport is ice hockey.
  4. Canada makes 80% of the worlds supply of maple syrup
  5. Degrassi Junior High is a real place (I made that up, but I worked as a waitress with a guy who was a regular on the show, so had to get it in somewhere!! Anyone under 25 reading this will have no idea what I am talking about!! Sorry!)
I went to Canada once, I really like it. Niagra Falls Rocks!

So there you go... Happy Canada Day everyone :)