Thursday, August 2, 2012

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane (or possibly Dublin Bus)

Ciaran O' Connor :Isaacs Ambassador ..at the off!
A First Blog from Isaacs very own Wild Rover: Ciarán O Connor

Does this count as an “Official Blog Entry”? I’m still in Ireland you know. It’ll have to! My name is Ciarán O' Connor and I was lucky enough to be chosen by Isaacs Hostel to be their Ambassador for Ireland. What does that mean? It means I won a competition of theirs that will lead to me travelling solo through Europe promoting Ireland and Issacs abroad along the way throughout August. It's not your everyday find a Euro in the couch kind of luck. This is BIG!! Thanks must be paid James Clancy and Alan Duncan of Isaacs Hostel and Colm Hanratty of Hostel World for giving me this opportunity! Mucho Gracias!!

Before setting out to mainland Europe for a few weeks, I took the time to venture around Dublin with my girlfriend Aoife to take in what our capital has to offer to visitors. This resulted in the use of a Hop On, Hop Off bus. Surreal though it was to be ferried around a city I know quite well already, it was also highly enjoyable. There were pieces and parts of Dublins story that I was amazed I never heard before. Staying in Isaacs that night, we got a great feeling of the vibe of the place. Pretty electric to say the least!

Thursday morning I begin my walkabout of Europe, first touching down in foggy old London, although I’m sure the fog will be held at bay by all the mass hysterics induced by the Olympics. I have visited London once before, as a young child and remember nothing other than sleeping on a couch. Hopefully, this time, I’ll see a little more of the city. I plan to soak up the Olympic atmosphere and also indulge myself in them too. I was lucky enough to win a pair of tickets to the Men Singles Tennis Final in the Olympics for this coming Sunday. So, if you want to locate me on Sunday, you’ll find me in Wimbledon. I’ll be relaxing by Murrays Mound or Henmans Hill, or whatever moniker it’s under lately.

Preparing for this trip has been an activity in itself. Firstly, there’s the whole notion that I still don’t know exactly where I’m going! I have an idea yes, but where exactly, nope! That will be decided along the journeys path. Packing my bag has been a never ending game of Tetris, finding room for this and that. My Mother has dutifully tried to include anything that might be needed. Really though, trying to pack a blender in my bag? I’m joking, it didn’t get that bad! My bag is full of what I will need, what I will want and what I will use. I won’t get into the details but everything that needs to be there is there! I’ve just one more thing to add before I finish; Applications are now being taken for my Official Bag Pack Carrier....

Follow my travels and me on Twitter: @ciaran_o_connor and @isaacshostel

No comments: