Thursday, August 16, 2012

Public Pay Phones in that direction...




Wilkommen from Berlin. I’ve been here roasting in the sunshine for the past 3 days expertly avoiding Sunburn like some well trained acrobatic. Actually, I’ve just stuck to the shade. The shade is my friend!

Berlin has been a reunion of sorts! Not only did I meet my Irish buddy Stephen from home here in the hostel, but also the guys I met in Brugge. So chaos and good times have ensued once again! I got here on Monday afternoon after a not-so-bad 6 hour train journey. That evening myself and Stephen got our map, found a beer garden and went there. We then left after one drink because you know... we’re students and €4 a drink is too much for us. Well, when beer is €1.50 from a street kiosk it is!

Yesterday was a much more interesting day! We visited the city of Potsdam, outside of Berlin. When we got there we trekked to the location of the Potsdam Conference in 1945 in the palace of Cecilienhoff. This is where Stalin, Churchill and Truman met after the end of World War 2 to decide the future of Europe. It was a pretty awe inspiring place, retracing the steps of history that have shaped the modern world. Not just that, but the palace itself was spectacular. Now, we didn’t see all 170 plus rooms, but the 10 we did were quite swanky! Germany isn’t the only country with some historical buildings of note! In Ireland we have a rich past of many Norman and Viking castles and other buildings galore! They literally take you back in time to when our island was conquered by our neighbours from Scandinavia. Their invasion also resulted in the foundation of many Irish monastries and round towers, which dot the Irish countryside and must be included in your stay in Ireland!



This morning, with heads too weary for sunlight, we took off in the blistering heat to view Germanys Parliament. We took in the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate and the vast expansive park that is Tier Garten. Tier Garten reminded me of our own parks and greens in Ireland. Not only is there St Stephens Green in the centre of Dublin, but also Killarney National Park in the South West. Really and truly, the whole country is green, so get out there and smell the fresh air! Tier Garten was a cool place to be though, not only does it have expansive green spaces but supposedly there are spots of it which permit nude sun bathing! Madness! That piece of knowledge came to me via Adam of travelsofadam.com. We sat down earlier today and talked of everything from Berlins nightlife to his travels in South East Asia. I really enjoyed his company and he gave me a wider view of Berlin that I haven’t had the chance to experience in my 3 days here. 



What about the German stereotype? Serious, uncompromising and stern. Nope. By now you know a stereotype is a label and nothing more. We Irish don’t sit around drinking all day, munching Spuds and chasing pots of Gold. The Germans are a lovely people who have helped me out along the way, even when I was attempting to speak in their native tongue. Horribly trying too! However, one story must be shared about a German I encountered who didn’t do very much to help me. *COMMENCING RANT* Coming off the train returning from Potsdam yesterday, I went to an ATM in the station to withdraw some money. Card in, screen staring at me and then it froze. Wonderful yeah? So I walked over to the Information Desk and told the man behind it my card was stuck in the machine. He advised me to ring the help number on the ATM. I already had and it wasn’t in service. I asked him could he trying ringing it. “Nein!”. More wonderful! Raising his hand and pointing over my shoulder he put the final nail in the coffin of what could have been a beautiful friendship and he said “Public phones are in that direction”. By now, the machine had spat out my card and I, possibly far too sarcastically, thanked the man for his help and left. Thankfully the card worked and I’m still able to spend gratuitous amounts of my money in Berlin! *RANT COMPLETE*



Where to next? POZNAN in Poland! The home of many Irish fans during Euro 2012. I’m going there tomorrow morning and I hope to see just how bad a state the Irish left it in! Thanks must be paid to the Tourism Ireland office in Frankfurt for their helpful tips for Berlin! Other than that, slán! Talk soon!

Follow me and my travels on Twitter at @ciaran_o_connor and @IsaacsHostels and on Facebook at Isaac Hostels.

No comments: