Tuesday, August 7, 2012

London Calling !

More News  from Ciaran: the Isaacs Hostel Ambassador 

Since winning this competition I’ve been interviewed on a few separate occasions relating to the opportunity I’ve been afforded by Issacs to travel Europe. However, on Friday the tables turned and I was the one interviewing somebody! Deirdre O’ Brien is the Assistant Features Editor with the Sunday Mirror here in London. We talked about everything under the Sun from living in London, to the Olympics, to her Irish background. Her parents originated from Cork and Limerick in Ireland respectively before leaving for Britain.


Born in Norfolk herself, Deirdre has had an illustrious past working in many publications, beginning her career in Newcastle before finding herself at the Sunday Mirror in Canary Wharf in this City. Where we really got stuck into conversation was when we began talking about reality television and debating the appeal it offers and subsequently receives from the Irish and British public alike. “Structured reality” as Deirdre put it, is how shows like Geordie Shore, Made in Chelsea and The Only way is Essex operate. Never heard of The Only Way... You’re more likely to see it in its abbreviated form TOWIE! Shows like these have made celebrities out of the likes of Amy Childs. Who is she? A star of the show, she brought the term Vajazzle to the public consciousness. I’ll let you find out what means yourself! Asking her about life in London, she informed me Brian Dowling, of Big Brother fame, regularly takes the same Tube as her! He’s a bit fond of the Sunbed too it seems!

Other than chatting to journalists, what did I do on Friday!? Went walking, to put it bluntly. There is no better way to see London than on your two feet. Before speaking to Deirdre, I ventured around taking in London Bridge (Yes the one from the nursery rhyme) the HMS Belfast and the Tower Bridge along my way. In the afternoon, I took a stroll down Cannon Street to the site of the recent Occupy London protests outside the historic St Pauls Cathedral. There was no one camping outside at the time but maybe the hordes of business men, who suddenly appeared in every pub and bar I saw after 5pm, may need a place to sleep later on. They must have that Friday Feeling!

Besides from chatting to other travellers and taking in the sights and sounds of London, I’ve been busy taking far too many pictures. No doubt they’ll end up in the glorious location of a folder on my laptop! My dorm is like Gatwick Airport with a number of nations being represented! There is no better way to learn curse words in multiple languages than in a Hostel dorm!

Until next time, ta ra!

You can follow my travels and me on Twitter at @ciaran_o_connor or @isaacshostels

No comments: